It’s my annual rundown of EXCELLENT POP MUSIC. Some of them are a bit random. I’m not trying to be cool, they really are good pop songs. The top ten is featured, but the whole playlist is available on Spotify HERE for you to WOW your chums.
31. Boyfriend – Justin Bieber
30. Wildest Moments – Jessie Ware
29. Pretty Girl – Stockholm Syndrome
28. Merrry Xmas (Says Your Text Message) – Dragonette
27. Black Star – Queen of Hearts
26. Can’t Say No – Conor Maynard
25. The Way I Like It – Mandy Capristo
24. Pyramids – Frank Ocean
23. Home Run – Misha B
22. 30 Minute Love Affair – Paloma Faith
21. Shady Love – Scissor Sisters feat. Azealia Banks
20. You Bring Me Joy – Amelia Lily
19. Looking Hot – No Doubt
18. The Boys -Nicki Minaj and Cassie
17. DNA – Little Mix
16. Your Body – Christina Aguilera
15. Die Young – Ke$ha
14. Play The Game Boy – A*M*E
13. Stay – Rihanna
12. 30 Days – The Saturdays
11. Every Night I Say A Prayer – Little Boots
10. MIA – Bad Girls: Although this has really been floating around since 2011 on the Vicky Leekz mixtape, it was properly released in 2012 AND features easily the best video of the year.
9. A*M*E – Find A Boy: This is a cheat. It was never officially ‘released’ as it were, but was THE summer tune of 2012. Sadpop doesn’t get much more bleak than this.
8. Girls Aloud – Something New. Bet you thought this’d be number one right? Well it’s not because despite 9 writers the lyrics are crap. That said, people criticising a Girls Aloud song for being too noisy and overproduced must have been thinking of some other Girls Aloud, because that part is spot on.
7. iamamiwhoami – In Due Order. Marvellous electro disco like from when Goldfrapp were good.
6. Grimes – Oblivion. Hoxton/Dalston friendly electro Canadiapop. ‘Yah, Grimes, yah?’ Sadly this was pretty much the only good song on the album so being cool just doesn’t quite cut it. What a song though.
5. The Veronicas – Lolita. I have NO IDEA what’s going on with the UK release of this. It’s been out everywhere else for months. I’m not saying you *should* illegally download songs, but when is the record industry going to figure out if you can hear a song not available in your territory, bad things happen. Lolita is 2nd place for best video too.
4. Nicki Minaj – Starships. You are ONLY allowed to criticise this song if you’ve been off your tits in a gay club and somehow been able to resist the HIGHER THAN A MOTHERF*CKER section. Worst video of the year, mind.
3. Marina and the Diamonds – Primadonna. Had ‘Homewrecker’ been a single, that would have probably been at number 1 FYI. Electra Heart is certainly the best pop ALBUM of the year, however.
2. Taylor Swift – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together. In 2012, Swift became a proper pop star and not just a high profile beard. This song is both irresistable and clever (‘go find your peace of mind in some indie record much cooler than mine’). Like ever.
1. 2NE1 – I Love You. I suspect you all think is me trying to be dead clever. It’s not. I Love You is best Girls Aloud song Girls Aloud haven’t done. Icy, icy cool synth pop with a Korean flavour. It doesn’t even sound like 2NE1 in particular (who were more pop-rap before this offering – check out I Am The Best for proof). After Gangnam Style, this is a reminder that, far from novelty, South Korea makes some of the best pop music in the world. If you’re interested, loosely translated, I Love You is about a doomed, obsessive love affair, so it firmly qualifies as sadpop too.
Once again, you can enjoy MOST of the list HERE.