Trick or TreatIF BOOKS COULD KILL…

For whatever reason, teen thrillers without a dark romancy element are pretty hard to find – I know because I was trying to do a top ten for when Cruel Summer comes out. It’s no big secret that I was ADDICTED to Point Horrors and Christopher Pike novels as a teen and they have massively influenced Hollow Pike (see chapter 12 – The Babysitter) and Cruel Summer.

But I wondered: are Point Horrors well-loved nostalgia pieces or are they ACTUALLY GOOD? When talking to readers online, everyone agrees they were brilliant fifteen years ago. But what about now? After a REVOLUTION in YA fiction, can Point Horrors hold their own? Are they (whisper it) even better than the Twilights, Hunger Games and TFiOSs? This writer believes the teen audience craved something more sophisticated. I think he’s a bit of a snob.

Let’s find out! Here’s how the POINT HORROR BOOK CLUB will work. Each month there will be a new title. I’ll read it and write my thoughts here. If you, dear reader, can be arsed, raid your attic, charity shop or eBay and join in. We can discuss each title on a special area of this very website (which my lovely web chum is in the process of creating). On twitter, use the hashtag #pointhorrorbookclub so I don’t miss your thoughts.

The first title will be the first Point Horror released in the UK, 1991’s TRICK OR TREAT by Richie Tankersley Cusick. I’ve already lined up a few titles I’m going to revist. After that, if we can still be bothered, we’ll vote for the next title. Being a me thing, it’s very laid back. You can join in as much or as little as you want.

Whether you remember Point Horror from the 90s or are intrigued as to what us old-enough-to-know-better types are talking about get searching for TRICK OR TREAT right now. So many of you have already tweeted pics of your second hands copies and I can’t wait to get going!

15 thoughts on “Point Horror Book Club

• April 22, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I’m in, although I know nothing of Twitter.

• April 23, 2013 at 8:33 am

I am a massive Point Horror fan and have all of them pretty much, I was borrowing them from the library when they came out and then about 10 years ago I started to build my collection from ebay, charity shops and ex library books. The problem is they are all either under the bed which is jammed shut with a dodgy door or in a really full drawer but when I get home I am going to try my hardest to find Trick Or Treat as I really want to indulge in this Point Horror nostalgia. I know I am going to stumble across so many of my favourites. I am desperate to reread The Perfume. Also The Snowman was a huge fave of mine, think I’ve read that easily over 5 times.

• May 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

Sorry I’ve just seen this post now – I loved Point Horror and I agree, the writer of the post you linked to *is* a bit of a snob. Trick or Treat was, ironically, the first one I bought myself and it’s still in my collection. In fact, I could probably lay my hands on it right now. If I wasn’t at work.

Anyway.

My favourite was The Cemetery. It was the first one I read that was overtly supernatural (the rest all seemed to have Scooby Doo type villians) and the first one that genuinely scared me. It started with a murder at a Halloween party on Cemetery Point and the main character spends the rest of the novel being chased by a malevolent entity. I need to find that one too..

Great post, James.

• Pingback: The Point Horror Book Club | Savidge Reads

• May 18, 2013 at 1:15 pm

My best friend and I have started re-reading all the Point Horrors that we can get our hands on. I recently bulk bought about ten of them from a local charity shop; the woman behind the till gave me a funny look. Has there ever been a more terrifying series of books? I think not. The taglines alone instill a particular kind of fear unique to Point Horrors (Some come to party…some come to die, for instance). And I still can’t have a mirror in my bedroom after reading ‘The Accident.’

• May 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I was totally obsessed with point horrors when i was younger and was delighted to see a massive collection of them just waiting to be read and shared when i started my new job as a school library manager!

• July 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I’m really looking forward to this! I used to love the Point Horror books when I was at school. I knew at the time that they weren’t exactly intellectual literature, but who cares? They were entertaining and mostly damn good fun. I have to admit part of the appeal also came from knowing my parents would most definitely not have approved of me reading them, which made them doubly fun 😉

• August 11, 2013 at 9:57 am

I read lots of Point Horror books when I was about 11-15, I absolutely loved them. Over the last several years I have re-collected the whole collection including Nightmare Hall & Point Horror Unleashed. I am reading Trick or Treat at the moment, brilliant. I have too many favourites to list. I don’t care that they are aimed at a young audience they’re great fun, easy to read and entertaining. I’m enjoying them all over again at 30!!

• September 9, 2013 at 3:22 am

I love these books! I just re-read Trick or Treat this summer and would love to join the Point Horror Book Club. I actually am a teacher and am saddened by how much kids claim they HATE to read. I think they just have a hard time finding something to read that they like (there is so much out there). Anyway, I want to know why Scholastic does not publish these anymore as part of the Book Club. I think they should reprint them.

• December 13, 2013 at 4:09 am

I’m glad I found your site, because I loooove Point Horror. Even still today. 😉 And this book was one of my particular faves. haha.

• December 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

• December 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

i love point horror and trick or treat is my fav!!!!! i still go round charity shops now trying to pick up a copy. snowman and babysitter are also good!

• December 24, 2013 at 1:56 am

Hi, about 8 years ago my family and i went to live tobengland and they where the first books i brought when i learned english, the thing is thatvi had a huge collection but when we moved backbto spain i lostvsome and im not able to buybthem over here, so if someone could let me know where i can find a list with all the tittles…. i would love to buy them so my kids can enjoyvthem as muchas i did. Well i will also like to read them again. Thanx in advance

• April 25, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I am also a primary school teacher and decided to start collecting the books over 2 years ago. I loved them when I was younger and look forward to a rainy afternoon when I can indulge in a little bit of nostalgia.

• August 31, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hi I loved these books I am trying to recall a book not sure if it was point horror or not but here goes a unpopular boy at schools goes to a club or disco I think he gets beaten up so he goes out and sees another door which he goes through it and a different part of the club but he is.popular in it hope this.helps some one help me I think it was called the club or the room